When embarking on a no-grain diet, it can often be challenging to give up some of our favorite foods, especially rice. Finding a substitute that not only checks all the boxes of being grain-free, low glycemic, and safe for most people with food sensitivities, but also tastes amazing can seem like an almost impossible task...
Thankfully, cauliflower rice is a great way to enjoy any dish that calls for rice and yet keep it paleo and Autoimmune Paleo Diet (AIP) friendly. This recipe is for a "fried rice" version, but you can easily use cauliflower rice to complement your favorite stews and dishes.
To better health, enjoy!
YIELD: Serves 4-6
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces of pancetta, bacon, or pork belly, diced1
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and grated.
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne1
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1AIP (Autoimmune Paleo): Use uncured pork. Remove cayenne and butter.
- Wash and prep all ingredients.
- In a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat, add in diced pancetta and diced carrots. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in diced onions, garlic and thyme. Sauté until nice and caramelized, about another 3 minutes.
- Add in grated cauliflower. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Season with cayenne, turmeric, salt, and ground pepper.
- Finish with a knob of butter.