Here is a great alternative for when you are craving pasta without the carbs. It is super easy and quick to make!
To better health, enjoy!
YIELD: Serves 4-6
- ¾ cup of pine nuts1
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups of basil, washed and stems removed
- 1 to 1½ cups of olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 5 zucchinis, washed and made into zoodles (zucchini noodles)
1AIP (Autoimmune Paleo): Swap out the pine nuts with ⅓ cup of shredded unsweetened coconut. Omit butter.
- To make zoodles by hand:
- Wash zucchini. Using a mandoline, carefully slice zucchini, about ¼ inch thick. Julienne into zoodles. On a plate with a paper towel, lightly salt zoodles to drain the water, and set aside in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes. When ready to use the zoodles, I recommend to use a strainer and gently press additional liquid out of the zoodles. You'll be amazed how much liquid is in zucchini.
- You may also purchase a Zoodle maker like this spiral vegetable slicer or, if you prefer something more compact, this zoodle slicer.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic, basil, pine nuts, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add more olive oil and lemon juice, if needed, or to desired consistency.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add in a knob of butter. Add in zoodles and cook lightly for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add in pesto to zoodles. Mix well.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper and pine nuts.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The zoodles will cook with the pesto sauce. If you prefer the zoodles more cooked, you can quickly stir fry them in a pan with some olive oil and then add the pesto. Cook for a minute or until desired temperature and consistency.